Wednesday 13 July 2011

The Salesman

Ok so I have a finished film, some work experience that Im rather proud of under my belt but now Im worried that everything is coming to a screaming halt around me. With a hectic past few months having plenty to keep me occupied I now need to join thousands of other in the job market.

I have been here once before, at the end of my BA the big bad world was a daunting place. I found a job for a local newspaper selling advertising. It was never what I wanted to do but it was a job that paid well and gave me a car. A week or so later everything went wrong with the banks and suddenly this difficult job got even harder. Im not a quitter though and as others were being made redundant I hung on and battled through. Foolishly I was ashamed of being a salesman, in hindsight there was no tougher welcome to the world of work. The Maysles brothers who made the film Salesman (1968) were of the opinion that everyone should be a salesman at some point. In two years of advertising sales I learnt a great deal about people and how to communicate. Sales gives such a solid foundation not based on fuss or praise but head down and work hard. I found this difficult initially, and I believe there is a place for praise in the workplace of course there is but for a fresh faced youngster its probably good to get the stuffing knocked out of you too.

During two years of selling I still knew it wasn't what I wanted to do, I wanted to create, I wanted challenges and experiences in my work life, variation. Applying for my Masters was the best move I have ever made. Although making documentaries had never really figured on my to do list, I loved watching them and the process filled the criteria of what I wanted in my work life.

So now I am to start the whole process again, this time not as wet behind the ears, but still keen to work hard to progress. I think its going to be a lot more difficult this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment